The somatosensory representation of the human clitoris: an fMRI study reports an functional magnetic resonance imaging study on the somatosensory representation of the clitoris.
The study is summarized on The Neurocritic blog.
One commentor pointed to the study Localization of functional regions of human mesial cortex by somatosensory evoked potential recording and by cortical stimulation.
Group 1 of 13 female volunteers with 0 males and 13 females were included in the study.
The group had a mean age of 26 with a range from 22 to 34.
The study on the human subjects was approved by the Kantonale Ethikkommission Zürich.
15 subject were scanned, but 2 was discarded due to head movement.
For the hallux stimulation only 8 subjects were scanned.
For fMRI Single-short gradient EPI scans were acquired with a 3.0T Philips Achieva.
The scanns were analyzed with BrainVoyager QX 1.9.
Cluster level thresholding (p<0.05) was applied based on the approach described by Forman et at in 1995,
and as generalized by Goebel et al.
 Clitoris stimulation (individual subjects)
Table 1 with 21 coordinates
 Clitoris stimulation activation (group)
Table 2 with 21 coordinates.
 Clitoris stimulation deactivation (group)
Table 2 with 7 coordinates.
 Hallux stimulation
5 coordinates mentioned in text in the last part of the result section.
The reporting of the coordinate is not complete across the brain: SMA activation is mentioned but not coordinates are given.
 Hallux stimulation (individual subjects)
One coordinate give for each of 7 of the 8 scanned subjects in the supplementary material table.
 Related papers
- Women's clitoris, vagina, and cervix mapped on the sensory cortex: fMRI evidence
- The stereotaxic space is unclear: It is written that the images were "transformed into the Talairach space", but then later "The Talairach coordinates give results similar to the MNI coordinates."
- The group level study has a liberal statistical threshold on p<0.02 uncorrected.
- ↑ A New Clitoral Homunculus?, The Neurocritic, 2009-09-10.
- ↑ T. Allison, G. McCarthy, M. Luby, A. Puce, D. D. Spencer (1996). "Localization of functional regions of human mesial cortex by somatosensory evoked potential recording and by cortical stimulation". Electroencephalography and clinical neurophysiology 100(2): 126-140.
- ↑ S. D. Forman, J. D. Cohen, M. Fitzgerald, W. F. Eddy, M. A. Mintun, D. C. Noll (1995). "Improved assessment of significant activation in functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI): use of a cluster-size threshold". Magnetic Resonance in Medicine 33: 636-547.