Personality characteristics of Wikipedia members
From Brede Wiki
|Personality characteristics of Wikipedia members|
|Authors:||Yair Amichai-Hamburger, Naama Lamdan, Rinat Madiel, Tsahi Hayat|
|Citation:||Cyberpsychology & behavior : the impact of the Internet, multimedia and virtual reality on behavior and society 11 (6): 679-671. 2008 December|
|Database(s):||CiteULike PubMed (PMID/18954273)|
|Web:||Bing Google Yahoo! — Google PDF|
|Article:||BASE Google Scholar PubMed|
|Restricted:||DTU Digital Library|
|Format:||BibTeX Template from PMID|
|Extract:||Talairach coordinates from linked PDF: CSV-formated wiki-formated|
The study recruited 139 subjects via posted links to an online questionnaire. 69 were Wikipedia contributors.
- Wikipedians score higher on "Real Me": "it indicates that Wikipedia members feel more comfortable expressing themselves on the net than they do off-line
- Wikipedians score lower on agreeableness
- Wikipedians score higher on openness
- There were interaction effects:
- Male Wikipedians scored lower, while female Wikipedians higher than non-Wikipedians on conscientiousness.
- Female Wikipedias are more introvert while male are (slight more or equal) extrovert compared to non-Wikipedias.
 Related papers
- The authors refer to Wikipedia contributors as "Wikipedia members". What are the member of?
- The demographics of the subjects is not described. Are they English or Hebrew speaking? Where where the recruitment posting posted to?
- Given that the questionnaire is online one could or wished for a larger number of subjects.
- The sentence on openness trait in the results description is confusing.